Friday, November 2, 2007

Sports Fans




The Red Sox won the World Series. I am a Sox fan, so that made me happy. It made a lot of people happy. It made them so happy that at least 37 were arrested here in my lovely Boston.

This is a quote from our WBZ News site:

37 people were arrested overnight in the city by Boston and State Police, mostly for disorderly conduct. No serious injuries were reported. 16 cars were vandalized on Newbury Street. Most of the damage was broken side view mirrors, broken windows and damaged windshield wipers. At least one small fire was set and at one point, the crowd flipped a pick up truck on to its side. Young people sprayed each other with beer and some climbed street signs or utility poles. Pictures captured by WBZ-TV crews showed at least one car tipped over near Copley Square. (end quote)

I am puzzled. How does starting fires and destroying property express your team or civic spirit? I just don't get it. At least no one was killed, like in 2004.

I don't think this is endemic to Boston. I know all over the world people go crazily violent when their sports team wins. What is it about? Seriously, I just don't understand it.
Of course, I also don't understand how a US event is termed a "World" Series. But maybe that's just me.

The art is Bacchus, 1626, by the Baroque painter Jusepe de Ribera.

4 comments:

KW said...

I think people in general are so stressed out (add in too much alcohol) that it takes very little to celebrate in a destructive manner. Like you, I never undestood why people, aka mobs, act in very agressive behavior. Having moved away from Boston, such a sports town, to SD...I can't believe how many Boston sports fans there are out here. Walking around, I see a lot of people wearing Red Sox and some Patriots caps. It's got to be the nearby military base.

Nancy said...

KW,

Really? Lots of Sox and Pats fans in San Diego? I'm surprised. I do believe that alcohol has to add to the destruction. Yet another reason to legalize cannibis. You wouldn't see a bunch of potheads turning over cars...

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that people can "lose it" over a sporting event. I'm as rabid a sports fan as the next guy. But please wanton destruction?? Humans are capable of such calamity...sigh...

Anonymous said...

LL
I absolutely hate sports especially when you think adults are being paid millions to play a child's game-!!
Not to mention the kids are better players!
Jack