Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memory


So as far as I can tell Memorial Day is meant to commemorate our memories.

My memories are becoming rather um, random, as I get older. My friends have begun telling me to "refresh."

For example, yesterday (Memorial Day) I was out on the deck with some friends, my friend R said something, and I said, "what?" Then after less than a minute I somehow heard it, and said, "Ahhh, well. Yeah, I did know that Jordin won American Idol." But there was like a moment when I swear I had no idea what he said. My friends were online looking at some crap or another, and told me I needed to "refresh." Er. OK.

Actually they were right. I have come to the point where I sometimes forget shit. Or did I always? I'm not sure. I just remember the time when I came back from the store, which is right down the street, and came to my own little alley-type street. I looked both ways and couldn't decide which way to go. Well, I did figure it out in about 10 seconds, but fo those few seconds it was really freaky. I really felt lost.

I needed to refresh, and then I could get were I was. No biggie, but at the time it was.

Have you ever had a moment like that? Where you needed to refresh?

The art is Andrew Wyeth's Overflow,

8 comments:

John Burt said...

I'm getting there too. I say I need to hit ctrl/alt/del.

The worst part is that I was never good with names. I remember faces, but not names.

Maybe I'll just forget all the stuff I'm not happy about first.

ps. I hope you had a great memorial day. I went camping at Nickerson State Park on the Cape, and swam in both the pond and the ocean. Yay!

Nancy said...

Rolfe,

I understand the need to reboot. I get that a lot. And I'm not that great with names either. Or I remember their names but nothing else about them. As in who they are, where they work, or anything. Sucks.

I've never been to Nickerson Park. It sounds great. Love ponds and oceans! :)

LARMOT said...

I tend to explain the lapse in memory in physical terms like "Half-heimers" (I remember half the things) or "Brain Fart" (you have that quick Phtthttt!, and then you are fine). I have always been bad at names, but good at dates, faces and places....

ryder said...

I find it strange that I can go someplace once and I never forget how to get there but I can work with someone for months and I either have to pause a moment or I can't remember their name at all..

Other times I have run into people I haven't seen in 10 - 20 years and in my noggin I can see like a video rerun of what went on in complete detail back then and even recognize the people but still can't remember their names.

The irony is that out of the clear blue a name will pop up in my head and I can remember everything about that person.

The moral of this story is when we move on to the next planet write everything down :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my yes!! I was so freeked out that I went to the doctor and had him check for early Alsymers. He told me I was too young (nice man) but checked anyway... if I could only remember whta hes said???...lol, no he said it's called brain overload. I guess we tend to leak info into a sub brain compartment and it takes longer to retrieve. So like me your hard drive is full...lol

Nancy said...

Larmot,

I get those brain farts all the time. And I am good with faces, and places, only occasionally bad with names, but dates are the worst. I almost always have to place something else there, like what I was wearing, or other people who were there, to remember even roughly when something happened.

Frank said...

I get the occasional bout of CRS (Can't Remember Shit) as well. Really drives me nuts. Like today, I was trying to remember a friend's address and couldn't when I really needed to. Now, 6 hours later, I suddenly remember the street and number. *sigh*

I also remember faces but not names. Really sucks when I run into people from high school and such and they ask "How are you Frank?" and all I can say is "hi, I am well, how have you been?"

Nancy said...

Frank,

Being a woman, I can say, "Hi there sweetie! How are you?"

I like to think it distracts them until I can check their mail or something and find out their name. :)