Saturday, May 5, 2007

Cinco de Mayo and The Kentucky Derby


I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo.
I'm never sure what it's all about...

lyric from Mexico on Cake's album Prolonging the Magic.

I didn't know much about it either, so I looked it up. Cinco de Mayo commemorates the 1862 victory by outnumbered Mexican forces over French soldiers at the Battle of Puebla. Mexico had a lot of accumulated debt to France, and the French wanted payment. They didn't get it. It is not Mexico's Independence Day, which is September 16. Only gringos think it is Mexican Independence Day. Now you know better.

Nowadays it is a bigger holiday in the US than in Mexico, mainly so we can have parades, dance to Latin music, and enhance the sales of tequila to previously sober Americans who want to get shit faced in public.
Sort of like St. Patrick's Day, only with tequila.

Here in Boston, bars have had contests for the most creative sombrero; some have Mexican musicians, and they all sell a crap load of Mexican food and margaritas. A friend of mine is having a Kentucky Derby party today, so I will go to that. I'll invite my only Mexican friend, but he probably has other plans.

In case you didn't know, the Kentucky Derby is a horse race.

My friend makes mint juleps for Derby Day. I hate mint juleps. They taste like minty poo. Not that I've ever tasted poo, minty or not, but still. I'll bring wine instead. I should just get some Patron and make margaritas, but his kitchen is too small to handle two different fancy drinks.

Are you planning anything for Cinco de Mayo? Or for Derby Day? Or are you drunk already?

The art is Nude with Calla Lilies by Mexican artist Diego Rivera, 1944.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good Nancy,I never knew what Cinco de Mayo meant. Good job on blog. :-) BP

Gunz said...

Very smart of you to look up Cinco de Mayo's History. :)

Now I can call you an honorary Mexican.

:)

Nancy said...

thanks BP, and nice to see you over here!

Nancy said...

Rico, if you can't call me an honorary Mexican by now... :)

Anonymous said...

I was in Cabo a few years ago, for a wedding that coincided with Cinco de Mayo. The tourists made far more of it, it seemed, than the locals did. Outside the tourist zone, there did seem to be some parties going on, it is a no-work-holiday for people who are in jobs that give holidays.

chas

Nancy said...

Chas, it does seem that it is a bigger holiday for those outside Mexico than those inside.

Although we should ask our resident and token Mexican.

Rico? Any comments?

ryder said...

Don't know anything about horse racing but I'm going with Mikey the plumbers pick (some Bostonians will get that) "Nobiz Like Shobiz"

Glad to see your writing again LS

marathonman45202 said...

I am going to a party to celebrate both. I'll be partaking in the Tequila and Margaritas though.

No mint poo for me!

As Rico would say, Viva La Raza!

Nancy said...

Ryder, I'm not sure who you are. And I can't access your profile. Are you the woman I think you are? I think your first name begins with H. Is that you?

Nancy said...

MM, no mint poo for me either. I was trying to get Rico to come out with us but I think he is afraid I would have too much wine and maul him in public. And he might be right. :)

Pretzer said...

Great to see you out here in the "real world" of blogging!

Nancy said...

Peter, you are going to have to clue me in on who you are. I assume you are from the Dark Side...

ryder said...

ryder is huey from the other site

It's good to have you back writing.

Kat said...

I have no clue if this will even show up, Happy Cinco de Mayo in your new blog home.

Kat
aka SSS

Anonymous said...

Even though we used to own thoroughbreds (no stakes horses I'm afraid) I spent way too much time taking bets for my father to be interested in the Derby. Hell, I don't even like NASCAR. I just don't get that thing of going in circles I guess.

Anyway-I'm delighted that you are writing regularly, and have to admit that it's nice to FINALLY put a puss (be nice) with the thoughtful entries I've enjoyed.

tonester said...

I was drinking at 9:30 am! LOL

xx aka TonyPlays

Anonymous said...

Well now I know, but not drinking yet, still have to drop my son off in the city, then.. yep.. will raise a glass or two. Great seeing you here! xo P

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Found you! Once I paid attention to what I was doing, there you were! Congratulations on your new blog.

Charlotte
in Michigan, but from NH

Coulrophobia said...

hiya!
glad to see you over here. wondering now if i should blog here again. i got so darn lonely over here all by my lonesome. of course these days my log hasn't seen a whole lot of traffic at the other place. *sigh*
hope things are well with you and would like to catch up with a chat soon.
hugs, chris aka cactusass

Nancy said...

Ryder, I was right about the H but wrong about who I thought you were. Nice to have you here!

Nancy said...

Kat, hey there cutie! I was hoping you would find your way over here.

Nancy said...

Paul, you are indeed a Pizza God! Where in the country are you now?

Nancy said...

Tony, why am I not surprised to hear that? :D

Nancy said...

Chris I hope you do decide to blog over here. I'm really kind of tired of the other place so I'm hardly ever there at all. Everytime I go over I just get angry about some asshole or another.

I know you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Interesting... I did a Cinco de Mayo/Derby Day post over on the dark side. :D
It's under Intensity4u - well, not really "under" but attributed to or posted by.

I've scaled back there as I've begun to work on getting a... lighter side? blog going over on WordPress. I've been working on a collaborative blog for several weeks and haven't put much effort into my own yet. I love the tools and lack of class structure (no gold, silver, standard, male) that the uh... non-dark side blogging offers.
Happy Ocho de Mayo,
Jeff